The USA TODAY Sports Media Group and MLB Advanced Media, L.P. (MLBAM), the interactive media and Internet company of Major League Baseball, launched Sports on Earth, a destination dedicated to great sports writing from some of the most respected voices in the industry, in late August of 2012. It is the first content product to launch from their newly formed joint venture.
Steve Madden, a two-time National Magazine Award winner who most recently served as VP of Digital Product Development for Rodale Inc., is the General Manager for the joint venture and for Sports On Earth, and Larry Burke is the Editor-in-Chief. Burke was an award-winning senior editor at SI.com and Sports Illustrated, as well as the former editor of Inside Sports and the author of five books.
Sports On Earth features writing from:
- Will Leitch (@williamfleitch), former contributing editor to New York magazine, founder of Deadspin and author of four books.
- Gwen Knapp (@gwenknapp), an award-winning, longtime columnist for the San Francisco Chronicle and, previously, the San Francisco Examiner.
- Shaun Powell (@Powell2daPeople), a longtime columnist for leading media outlets including include Newsday, The Sporting News and ESPN New York and most recently NBA.com.
- Mike Tanier (@MikeTanier), formerly the senior writer for the influential NFL site Football Outsiders as well as a contributor to the New York Times' Fifth Down blog who also has written for FoxSports.com.
- Chuck Culpepper (@ChuckCulpepper1), a longtime writer who has covered nearly every sport for The National and previously the Los Angeles Times and Newsday, and in 2007 authored a book on his experiences covering English soccer.
- Patrick Hruby (@patrick_hruby), who�s also a contributor to The Atlantic online and Washingtonian magazine and has written for ESPN.com and The Washington Times.
- Michael Weinreb (@michaelweinreb), author of two books who has contributed to Grantland, ESPN.com, The New York Times and GQ.
The site also features regular contributions from Leigh Montville, decorated sportswriter who previously wrote for The Boston Globe and Sports Illustrated; Dave Kindred, Red Smith award-winner and National Sportscasters and Sportswriters Association Hall of Famer; and others.
Sports on Earth (@SportsonEarth) is the first product of the New York City-based joint venture between the USA TODAY Sports Media Group and MLBAM, which was formed in February 2012 and was created to develop and produce new content and products for sports fans across all digital and mobile platforms.
About the USA TODAY Sports Media Group
The USA TODAY Sports Media Group encompasses all sports initiatives across USA TODAY, as well as Gannett Co. Inc.'s 81 community newspaper properties and 23 broadcast television stations. It also includes the sports photography service U.S. Presswire, USA TODAY High School Sports and USA TODAY Sports Digital Properties. USA TODAY is owned by Gannett Co., Inc. (NYSE: GCI).
Established in June 2000 following a unanimous vote by the 30 Major League Baseball club owners to centralize all of Baseball's Internet operations, MLB Advanced Media LP (MLBAM) is the interactive media and Internet company of Major League Baseball. MLBAM manages the official league site, MLB.com, and each of the 30 individual club sites to create the most comprehensive Major League Baseball resource on the Internet. MLBAM powers more live events on the Internet than any other website in the world.