Back in January 2015, out of total frustration with the profound idiocy of the Deflategate controversy, my editors here at Sports on Earth and I began discussing where it ranked among the dumbest sports stories of all time. Then I realized: When you take a step back, all sports stories are pretty dumb. We think these things are so important at the time, and people on television yell at each other at increasingly loud volumes about them, and then a week later we move on to something else.
Thus, a regular feature: A look at the 10 dumbest sports stories of each month. It is shockingly easy to come up with them -- stories that rattle around the sports biosphere, get us all riled up and then go away.
10. LaVar Ball goes on a wrestling show. Can I say that this is the most I've ever enjoyed LaVar Ball? His kids seem to be having a blast with this, so I dunno, maybe we should too?
9. Phil Jackson almost traded Kristaps Porzingis. This seems positively Costanza-ian: Phil, after the Knicks picked up his option, finally figured out the only way the Knicks would fire him.
8. This month's Curt Schilling moment. There's a lot to absorb from this big Esquire profile of the former Red Sox and Phillies great turned gabbering lunatic, but my favorite is that he named a goat after Sarah Palin. (He should still be in the Hall of Fame.)
7. The Washington NFL license plate logo has some issues. The worst part about this is that having the logo in the wrong state is actually the least offensive part of this.
Oops made a mistake as Washington Redskins' Logo is put on Washington State; play in DC ��pic.twitter.com/CaGMXp88Lj- EAGLE WINGS (@ConstanceQueen8) June 27, 2017
6. Jimmy Butler gives out his phone number during his introductory press conference with Minnesota. All told, this is the sort of public accessibility we can all get used to from our athletes. What's the emoji for booing?
5. Justin Bieber's moment of sports Zen. Honestly, I can't find much to argue with in this Tweet.
I also don't know enough about sports to Really have valid opinion but I do enjoy sports!! And enjoy any high level sports game. Any team- Justin Bieber (@justinbieber) June 5, 2017
4. Pioneer League team sent out a release for "Hourglass Appreciation Night." They'll provide "a different stunner each half inning." Well, at least until the world found out about this, and they nixed it. (The club said the promotion was not approved by ownership or management.)
3.NCAA threatened to revoke punter's scholarship offer because he has a YouTube channel. Tell me again how this all helps student athletes rather than a bunch of old white dudes in Indianapolis.
2. Around the Horn accidentally discusses story based on Fake Tweet. To his credit, Tony Reali - who, somehow, all these years later, remains likable and normal despite more than a decade on television, stood up and took the heat. We've been there.
I got us @AroundtheHorn burned bad today by a fake tweet (fweet). Uggg this feels the worst.- Tony Reali (@TonyReali) June 15, 2017
1. The Freeze beats out a Bro. The video is still wonderful, but it also introduced America to the beauty of The Freeze in the first place, which makes the whole thing worth while.
this is the funniest thing that will happen at a sporting event this year pic.twitter.com/f6Yq9lErin- Joon Lee (@iamjoonlee) June 10, 2017